Hungry Health with Jennifer: Blueberries – the Antioxidant Superhero
One of my favourite berries is a blueberry. They are at the top of the list of anti-oxidant rich foods, making them important in any diet.
What are antioxidants? Antioxidants are certain nutrients, minerals, phytochemicals, herbs or enzymes that counteract the harmful effects of free radicals in the body. While many antioxidant nutrients are available in supplement form, for the most part, it is better to get them from a combination of foods that you eat.
10 Things You Need to Know About Blueberries
- The pigment released from the blueberry’s skin is the most valuable nutrient in the berry.
- Wild blueberries have more skin than flesh.
- Help promote weight control by decreasing belly fat.
- Enhance memory.
- Aids in eye health.
- Blueberries are one of the only natural foods that are truly blue in colour.
- High in fiber.
- Help control heart rate and blood pressure levels.
- Blueberries can grow hold in 12 hours after being picked if they are not stored in a dry, cool place.
- The perfect blueberry should be dusty in colour – but don’t wash that dust off until you are ready to eat them as it protect them from getting soft.